Welcome to CEI
...transforming Nigeria through Entrepreneurship and Innovation
The University of Ibadan Centre for Entrepreneurship and Innovation often called the CEI, started in 2002 as the University-Private Sector Collaboration (UPSC) Sub-committee of the MacArthur Grant Implementation Committee. The Programme for Entrepreneurship and Innovation (PEI) was established in June 2005. The process of transforming the PEI to the Centre for Entrepreneurship and Innovation took place on June 27, 2007 when the UI senate granted approval for the establishment of the Centre.
Since inception, CEI has been an arm of the University responsible for teaching and research in entrepreneurship and innovation, and highlights the direct relevance of the university to its environment and society as large. It seeks to complement the efforts of government in promoting private sector-led growth as envisioned in national and continental policies and initiatives, such as the National Economic Empowerment and Development Strategy (NEEDS), the New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD), the National Programme for the Eradication of Poverty (NAPEP), and the Small and Medium Enterprises Development Agency of Nigeria (SMEDAN), among others.
To be the leader in positively transforming society through entrepreneurship and innovation
To unlock the entrepreneurial ideas in students, staff and operators of small and medium enterprises, through training and other interventions to enable them develop sustainable enterprises by utilizing mutually rewarding partnerships with the private sector, policy-makers and non-governmental organisations committed to economic growth, poverty alleviation and sustainable development.
Activities of CEI
- Entrepreneurship Education – Undergraduate and Postgraduate
- Undergraduate Entrepreneurship Education
- Patenting of Intellectual Property
Functions of CEI
The centre's main functions are as follows:
- Curriculum development in entrepreneurship and innovation;
- Coordination of teaching and research in entrepreneurship and innovation;
- Promotion of linkages with the private sector through research, consultancy , training and building networks and alliances;
- Development of appropriate approaches for promoting innovation among entrepreneurs particularly of small businesses and students; and
- Development of modalities for promoting linkage with government, including building appropriate institutional and legal frameworks for enhancing University-Private Sector Collaboration in Nigeria.
How CEI performs the functions
We seek to accomplish our mandate by:
- Training students, staff and entrepreneurs through workshops, seminars and lectures in face-to-face and distance learning modes, including university-listed courses that are practical and evidence-based;
- Using a combination of academic and private-sector-based instructors in teaching and mentoring students;
- Organizing innovation fairs and competitions for promoting entrepreneurship and innovation at different levels;
- Conducting relevant research and consultancies to determine appropriate interventions, including the best training approaches to be adopted in promoting entrepreneurship and innovation;
- Commercializing the results of research and other Intellectual Property through the development and establishment of business and technology incubators and small business development centres as well as using other knowledge transfer approaches; and
- Networking with others in performing our functions, including the building of alliances to ensure the emergence of appropriate legal and institutional frameworks and a conducive environment for the development of entrepreneurship and innovation.